Friday 22 August 2014

Banana Soft Serve Extravaganza.. or.. Finishing Foods in the Freezer!

On Monday I will be saying goodbye to my residence.  It's been a nice place to live, but I am so excited to move into a new apartment with one of my sisters who is moving to Toronto! 

Our lease starts a few days after I need to move out, so I will be going home for a couple of days before we start living in the new place.  Because of this, I wanted to minimize the amount of fresh and especially frozen foods I have left, so that it is easier to transport my things.  When I discovered how our moving timing would be working out, I also discovered that I happened to have A LOT of frozen fruits and vegetables!  While my meals have mainly involved cooking up a medley of frozen veggies (well..sometimes cooking.. does anyone else like to snack on their green peas while they are still frozen?) with whatever else I had left, the abundance of frozen bananas, as well as various other frozen fruits, meant that I got to experiment with a lot of different banana soft serves this week!  Here are a few of the highlights:

Banana Soft Serve Extravaganza



Sour Cherry Banana Soft Serve - the tangy cherries and creamy banana were a really great combination!


Soy Milk Banana Soft Serve - I boiled my soy milk with some agar agar flakes before blending it with banana, freezing it, then re-blending, this gave it an amazing ice-cream-like texture!


Raspberry Banana Soft Serve - I boiled and then strained the raspberries of seeds before chilling them, so this one was very smooth!


Frozen Blueberry Banana Soft Serve - mmm, blueberries and banana go so well together!  I used blueberries that had been frozen the day they were picked, so they were so tasty!



Mango Banana Soft Serve - a classic favourite, this was as delicious as always!



And finally.. for those of us who REALLY like our veggies.. (or who still have a lot of frozen peas left)..


Pea-Nana Soft Serve - this was actually pretty sweet!  The texture was not as smooth as some of my soft-serves, but if you have a high-power blender you may be able to get a more creamy texture for it.  I know it's a little out of the ordinary, but it's full of protein, iron, and vitamins, and I liked it!  (although, I'm quite a fan of legumes, so try this only if you're feeling a little adventurous)  :)



And with that, the last banana of my freezer is finished!  See you after the move! :)

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations on your recent move and wishing you all the best settling in your new home with one of your sisters! Love this post and how you finished up and used frozen foods to make yummy snacks/dishes! Goodness, what a stunning green color: Frozen Peas & Banana?! Genius.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thank you so much Rika! :) We just got the keys to our new place today, I'm so excited! I've been really enjoying reading your blog and seeing all of your creative and diverse recipes, I can't wait to try your mango and Thai basil smoothie once I'm all moved in! :)

      Delete